Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

I am waiting downstairs for my little ones to wake up and scurry down the steps to tear open Christmas presents in brand new pajamas.  The thought of their excitement lifts my heart and gives me joy!

These last couple days I have been wrestling with the reality of peace of earth and joy everlasting.  Jesus came to the earth to bring us these gifts but we are only able to receive them through his death, not just his birth.  Life through death.  Hmmm?

Our family finished our advent readings yesterday and each of the kids talked about what brought them peace, joy, love and what they hope for.  And then we ventured into a discussion about how to have joy when we are sad.  You see, one of my dear friends lost her 11 year old boy to cancer this week.  That hurts.  That is painful.  Where is peace, joy, love and hope when we are deeply hurting?

Hallie's answered the question so simply and so completely.  "Well, it's like we are joyful because, like, we can hope about heaven, and like that makes us feel peaceful."

So, I am learning to fix my eyes on Jesus and the hope of heaven this Christmas.  Because, without him coming, living and dying to bring everlasting hope there is too much sadness to bear:  my daughter has lived in an orphanage and a foster home and is apart from me this morning, another friend lost her child this Christmas and yet another is remembering the child lost many Christmases ago.  

But, rejoice through the hurt and tears!  Jesus overcame the world.  There is life through death.  There is hope everlasting and peace on earth, because we can know without a doubt that we are loved and everlasting joy can be ours through Jesus.

For to us a child is born, 
   to us a son is given, 
   and the government will be on his shoulders. 
And he will be called 
   Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, 
   Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 
Isiah 9:6 


1 comment: