Sunday, January 1, 2012

It was good

This morning our family started a one year adventure!  We are determined to read through the bible, chronologically, in one year.

To kick off this resolution we went to a church service with many other believers that are taking up the same challenge.  The sermon was of course from Genesis, Chapter 1.

I had many take away messages but one thing that really stuck out to me was how God called His creation good.

How could God, all-knowing, make man in His own image with the foreknowledge that man's disobedience would bring pain, suffering, sin, scarcity and sickness into the world and break His relationship with the created ones that He loved?  How could He call it good?

How could God call this creation good, when he knew that His very own Son would have to die?  How could He call, "good" what he knew would break His heart?

Of course, I have adoption on my brain big time.  So, I began to relate this story of God's good to my own life and circumstances and I understand a little bit better what I think He meant when He created man and said, "this is very good."

Having children, adopted or biological, will bring us some pain.  I have no idea what hurdles and obstacles we will have to cross with Melia's heart, health and attachment, but there is a good chance that at times choosing her to be our daughter will mean some hurt for us.  But, I can still say that this adoption is very good.  

As parents we have a bigger, broader understanding.  I know that giving myself away sacrificially brings deep joy.  I know bringing this little girl into a loving family, with the freedoms provided in the United States and the medical system to help her precious heart is good.

God, must have seen the end in the beginning and in doing so was able to call it all good.  I don't know the future for our family, my life or my childrens' lives, but I know the God that planned it all, counted me, my husband and children worthy of creating and I trust in His definition of forever good.

Knowing how good and wonderful this adoption is, we are waiting just a few more days to travel around the world and embrace the child that God has chosen for us.  It is very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment