Saturday, January 28, 2012

Redeemed Tragedy

Well. for the third night in a row I am up at 2 a.m. It's weird that I keep waking at the exact same time! Tonight (or today...whatever) God brought to mind the idea of redeemed tragedy as I was laying awake sleepless.

Let me explain... Melia's life story begins with tragedy. She was born a girl, in a primarily atheist country with a severe heart condition. As a result she was being raised in an orphanage that was tucked away on a dirt road in a far away city. But, here is where the story takes a turn...

All along he was watching out for her and God has used this tragedy to bring about great joy. He purposed this tragedy with redemption in mind. He took an outwardly sad story and already he has brought about great and marvelous things...

The Bible gives us an example...If Moses had not been born a boy in a time when the leaders of the world were trying to kill all the Israelite boys, if he had not been given up by this mother and sent down a river in a basket and raised in a castle would his story have ended with such powerful and meaningful greatness. This child, abandoned as an infant grew to be a powerful leader, wrote a significant part of the Bible and is known for his faith and fortitude. God redeemed tragedy.

I have no idea what all the details of Melia's future story will be, but I do know that because he is graciously redeeming tragedy in her life that Omaha, NE is already experiencing joy it would not otherwise have had. Just yesterday, she brought a beaming smile to an unknown man at the grocery store (and many others we saw), she warmed her grammy's heart walking into her house for the first time and playing with her toys, she made countless kids at our Elementary school giggle and smile just by walking around the classroom. God redeemed tragedy and brought joy to others yesterday through this little life. It might seem minor, but without her life intersecting with mine I would not have had the joy of cuddling, tickling and rocking a precious little one year old that looks me right in the eyes with her gorgeous, deep, dark eyes and calls me mama. Without her in my life, I would never have known I was missing out on the joy that comes from her little life.

I am forever changed because God has reminded me that He is in the business of taking the broken things of this world that look tragic and redeeming them to bring about joy...He is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment